From: ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:01 PM
To: ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ecf-dev] Problem regarding hello.ds examples.

  Jeff,

On 9/7/2010 8:16 AM, Jeff Hamm wrote:
> [...]
> org.eclipse.ecf.containerFactoryArgs=ecftcp://localhost:30001/server,
> service.exported.configs=ecf.generic.server,
> service.exported.interfaces=*, service.id=89}. Service NOT
> EXPORTED;severity2;exception=null;children=[]]]
>

> And then subsequently, the client fails to start because it cannot
> cast the IHello
>
> Got proxy IHello=xxx.xxx.HelloComponent@4bd173
> STARTING remote call via proxy...
> received hello from=helloclientcomponent via proxy COMPLETED remote
> call via proxy
>
> ERROR 43 [SCR] Error while trying to bind reference Reference[name = IHello, interface = service.IHello, policy = dynamic, cardinality = 0..n, target = null, bind = bindHello, unbind = null]
>          Details:
>          Problematic reference = Reference[name = IHello, interface = service.IHello, policy = dynamic, cardinality = 0..n, target = null, bind = bindHello, unbind = null]
>          of service component = service.advisor
>          component implementation class = service.advisor.HelloClientComponent
>          located in bundle with symbolic name = service.advisor
>          bundle location =
> reference:file:/U:/dev/test2/service.advisor/
>          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>          at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>          at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.model.ComponentReference.bind(ComponentReference.java:360)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.model.ServiceComponentProp.bindReference(ServiceComponentProp.java:424)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.model.ServiceComponentProp.bind(ServiceComponentProp.java:209)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.model.ServiceComponentProp.build(ServiceComponentProp.java:327)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.InstanceProcess.buildComponent(InstanceProcess.java:580)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.InstanceProcess.buildComponents(InstanceProcess.java:196)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.Resolver.buildNewlySatisfied(Resolver.java:431)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.Resolver.enableComponents(Resolver.java:213)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.SCRManager.performWork(SCRManager.java:800)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.SCRManager$QueuedJob.dispatch(SCRManager.java:767)
>          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.WorkThread.run(WorkThread.java:89)
>          at
> org.eclipse.equinox.internal.util.impl.tpt.threadpool.Executor.run(Exe
> cutor.java:70) Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException:
> service.host.HelloComponent cannot be cast to org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice.IRemoteServiceProxy
>          at service.advisor.HelloClientComponent.bindHello(HelloClientComponent.java:80)
>          ... 16 more
>
> I saw on a different thread that this sort of error had been reported before but there was no resolution listed. Is this a known bug?

Not that I'm aware of, no.  This error doesn't resemble any existing thread that I'm aware of...if I missed some thread that does bear resemblance to this then please point it out to me.

 From the stack trace, this looks like some of your code is trying to cast the service.host.HelloComponent to
org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice.IRemoteServiceProxy:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: service.host.HelloComponent cannot be cast to org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice.IRemoteServiceProxy
         at service.advisor.HelloClientComponent.bindHello(HelloClientComponent.java:80)

This cast (i.e. from service.host.HelloComponent to
org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice.IRemoteServiceProxy) definitely *should*
throw an exception on the host.   It is used internally to ECF remote
services on the consumer/client side (i.e. the proxy)...not the host.

Scott