Re: [ecd-tools-wg] Telemetry for openvsx extensions

On 2020-06-23 3:38 p.m., Brad Micklea wrote:
I think it comes from our corporate web analytics platform - as a side effect of Red Hat hosting it. It's not connected to OpenVSX in any way. But I expect that we'd like to see additional telemetry there too.

Right. But I think the VSCode telemetry is tracking what people are doing on their desktops. Tracking user interactions on a website is a simpler problem, if for no other reason than the user will have already accepted your terms of use and privacy policy to get access to the tool.

Venkat, I am assuming you're interested in telemetry on the desktop. If so, the first question is whether you are looking for data to be collected by the ECD Tools WG, or are you proposing the creation of a standard API that extensions can use to implement their own telemetry collection?