Re: [e4-dev] Some random thoughts after browsing the e4 code base

Hi Philipp,

you came up with some good points for discussions!

Philipp Kursawe wrote:
Hello all,

I hope its ok for non-contributors to post on this list?
I really support comments from outside as this drives the project into the right direction!

1. Why is e4 still using an (empty) Activator in almost every project?
Good point. While from time to time an Activator may be necessary we still need to be careful here. Activators have an application-wide scope and may execute stuff that should be user specific. Keeping multi-user environments in mind (like e4 running on the server) this is something we need to keep in mind.

2. Why are you still using Require-Bundle in almost every bundle when a
I-P would do just fine? And then the CSS core bundle is requiring the
batik bundle which it does not use one class from, does it?
Using Require-Bundle in 3.x had a) historical reason and b) the advantage that you didn't need to care about OSGi split packages (see http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2009/07/14/why-i-cant-recommend-using-import-package/). With all the split packages gone and improved tooling (go chris!) I really support the usage of Import-Package. This helps us to have a looser coupling of bundles and allows to provide alternative implementations (like we do in RAP - org.eclipse.swt vs. org.eclipse.rap.rwt ). In my eyes using I-P is the way to go in order to support different usage scenarios.

--
Benjamin Muskalla | EclipseSource Karlsruhe
http://www.eclipsesource.com | http://twitter.com/eclipsesource

Back to the top