Re: [dtp-dev] JDBC 4.0 and Java 6

At the last Planning Council meeting, each Europa project was tasked with
making a JVM level support statement for the Europa release. We haven't
started to talk about this yet in DTP, since getting the currently planning
nailed down is the first priority. There was a general feeling in the
Council, however, that 1.4 support was desirable (built and tested in 1.4,
perhaps can also run in later versions). If a project decides to support a
version of the JVM later than 1.4, that could have downstream impact on
dependent projects. EMF has already stated that they will support 1.5
features in Europa, but they also plan to be backward compatible with 1.4.
No-one was talking about 1.6 at that point....

I think we need to first survey the current adopter community to gauge
desired support levels, and then make a decision from there. Ideally we'd
like to support as many JVM versions as possible (including as many JDBC
versions too), but obviously there could be technical reasons why this is
not always possible. If there are technical differences between versions,
perhaps we'll need to isolate the code in some manner.

Thoughts?

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.
http://dataplat.blogspot.com/

             rcernich@sybase.c
             om
             dtp-dev-bounces@e         dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/23/2006 02:16          [dtp-dev] JDBC 4.0 and Java 6
             PM

             Please respond to
              DTP development
               mailing list
             <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Hey all,

Just wanted to get your feelings regarding how Java 6 and the new version
of JDBC should fit within the scope of the DTP releases currently under
plan.  I'm not familiar with all of the changes, but some will definitely
impact the catalog loaders.  (There is already one defect which relies on a
JDBC 4.0 driver; getting parameters for UDFs in Derby.  This is currently
handled using reflection and only works when using Derby 10.2.)

Here are some of the highlights from the Java API documentation:
(http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html)

getFunctions(), getFunctionParameters(), getSchema(catalog,filter)

Regards,
Rob