[dsdp-tm-dev] TM Update Site is Confusing - Proposed Changes

Hi all,

I was using the update site the other day and noticed how confusing it is.  We have a lot of options and it's not easy to know which ones to install.

Attached is a screenshot showing all the possible options you can download.

My first instinct was to just install everything, so I checked TM 2.0.  I then got errors as Remote CDT has dependencies that I don't have installed.  I expanded TM and RSE 2.0.2 to remove Remote CDT and the error message didn't go away.  The duplication of Remote CDT in 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 makes eliminating dependency errors harder.

Looking at just the base components we already have a lot to confuse users with:

RSE Core
An option for each Service
RSE Runtime
RSE SDK

If I choose RSE Runtime do I need to choose the services I want as well?  I know that choosing specific services is to be done when choosing RSE Core, but with all these options for what to download it gets complicated.  On IRC a lot of user's just click the root node and don't know how to remove dependency errors for a lot of projects including ours.

Some proposed changes to simply the update site:

1. Have only RSE SDK and RSE Runtime.  You can easily decide what to install.  If you want to get very specific we can either have a separate update site or just direct them to the downloads page to get that kind of customization.

2. Remove the duplication of Services/Remote CDT in 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.  Also the duplication of Discovery across 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.
3. Move Discovery/Remote CDT and perhaps the Terminal to a new update site called Extras.  This will make it much easier for users who just click the root node of the update site, as there won't be any dependency problems.

Martin and others what do you think?

Thanks,
Kevin Doyle

Back to the top