[dsdp-tm-dev] Contributions and Control (was: RE: DSDP-TM- Discovery)

Hello Victor,

I very much understand your concerns.

In fact, we at WindRiver have been in a similar situation - a colleague of mine has added "Rename Refactoring" to the CDT without being a CDT committer, and he has added a fully new UI component for Search to Eclipse Platform without being a Platform committer. That colleague became a CDT committer only 1 year after his contribution was accepted and lots of bugs were fixed by him -- all by contributing patches. He still is no Platform committer.

The Eclipse Standard Charter, which we also use for our project, says:
" Users who contribute software, documentation, or other materially useful content become developers [...] Developers are expected to be proactive in reporting problems in the bug tracking system [...]  Developers who give frequent and valuable contributions to a Project, or component of a Project (in the case of large Projects), can have their status promoted to that of a "Committer" for that Project or component respectively [...] Becoming a Committer is a privilege that is earned by contributing and showing discipline and good judgment. It is a responsibility that should be neither given nor taken lightly."

See http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/Eclipse_Standard_TopLevel_Charter_v1.0.php section "Committers"

This charter has proven useful for a lot of projects, and I hope you understand that I want to follow that charter. I'm sure Javier can become a committer real soon, following the common process [the CDT taking 1 year to accept my colleague should be a really extraordinary exception].

Until that happens, I can personally assure you that we'll  take care of Javier's contributions and merge bugfixes promptly. After all, Eclipse is all about community -- you gain from the community's project and we gain from your contribution. It doesn't help anybody to step on each others toes. And, Javier is the expert on his contributions, so it's in all our interest to keep the project going and merge improvements or fixes promptly.

I think that putting some code into Open Source is always kind of a risk and means giving up some control. That is somehow scary, but it is also the power of Open Source -- meaning that others can step in and make improvements that you haven't even thought about yourself. The larger the Community grows, the better the product will be (and vice versa). It's not just an Eclipse thing but a general Open Source thing. In fact, Ian Skerret - Director of Marketing at Eclipse Foundation - said at his talk at EclipseCon that not trying to control things too much is one of the key points of success for an Open Source project.

I hope I could help you with a tough decision. We are looking forward to Javier's contributions a lot.
Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions - by E-Mail, Phone or Skype [martin.oberhuber] if you want.

Cheers,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber - WindRiver, Austria