Re: RES: RES: [dsdp-mtj-dev] new round of mtj api review

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I think the moving of non-public classes such that they are private is probably good to do now.  Splitting out ISDK is probably safe...  I would not feel comfortable with the new extension points at this point though.  We really need to make sure those have proper burn-in and it is just really late in the cycle.  My suggestion is that those should be added soon after 1.0 is released and that the group as a whole should then have the time to discuss and consider the extension points.

Paula Gustavo-WGP010 wrote:

Hi craig,

I understand and share your concern. when I looked at what is still there, in terms of public api, it is still a little confusing. So my feeling is that there is still room for some cleaning (move more classes/interfaces to be internal and do some refactoring). The main issues that I see are:

- the symbolset api seems to be duplicated: there are two packages with similar classes / interfaces. We want see if we can leave just one of them

- clarify the concepts of library and api classes (core.sdk.deivce.midp.library): there are several classes / interfaces that are public but it is not clear how to use them

- there are a lot of interfaces that are public on the mtj.core that can be moved to be internal

I’m trying to leave as public only what make sense to be public and that we can commit to maintain on the future.

If we fix those 3 issues, I think that we are going to be ok with our public apis.

Extract isdk from idevice, is something that we discussed a lot here on the list. This is more an improvement than a fix. We can postpone it to a future release, but I just thought that it is a good time to do it J.

in terms of extension points, out current list is:

- core.externallibrary

- core.deviceimporter

- ui.midlettemplates

- ui.jadeditorpages

- ui.jadattributes

- ui.deviceeditor

The plan is to keep all of that as they are now. I was also wondering about adding two more that we already have some discussions about them on the list:

- core.sdkinstall: import an sdk automatically when MTJ is started (this come from that suggestion sent by danail. We already have a bug opened for that). this extension point is associated to the isdk interface

- core.buildhook: hook into mtj build before and/or after the preverifier builder (this requirements comes from some discussion we had with RIM. I’m not sure if we can just use the project nature / builder for that we don’t add any api). I will send a separated email about that.

gep