RE: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Re: [Eclipseme-users] Why Switch to Eclipse MobileTools for Java?

Russel,

I am the program manager for MTJ within Motorola. The engineering team
that works on MTJ in Motorola reports to me. Let me assure you that
Motorola absolutely does not want this to be a "Motorola project."
Motorola is a member of the Eclipse Foundation, and is an active
contributor to open source projects in a number of areas. We take our
responsibilities as open source users and contributors very, very
seriously. If MTJ is viewed as a Motorola project, then MTJ, Motorola,
and I personally have failed.

When we discussed restarting MTJ within Motorola over a year ago, one of
the ground rules that I set down was that we must establish a community
of contributors - starting with Craig. We have been very fortunate that
Sybase has joined; their contributions have been wonderful. We
specifically wanted to avoid the problems that caused the failure of the
MTJ project the first time. To that end, we have avoided building any
dependency on any Motorola product into MTJ, I have required that all
design discussions occur on the public mailing lists or in bugzilla, and
we have actively approached other companies about contributing. The
ground rules I set are specifically about building a community.

I hope that now that MTJ has become official, we will start seeing more
companies and individuals join the project and build the community.
While Nokia and IBM could be valuable contributors, and I sincerely hope
that we can get them to rejoin the project as active members, smaller
firms and individuals such as yourself are also our targets. I need you
too to become an MTJ contributor.

Eric Hildum
Senior Product Manager, Mobile Developer Tools & SDK
Software Platforms and Delivery
Ecosystem and Market Development
Motorola
Direct: +1-408-541-6809