[dsdp-dd-dev] Register View Discussion

To the DSDP community and particularly those interested in Register Views:

At the last DSDP meeting in Toronto, the group determined that an enhanced Register View deserves it's own topic for discussion in the group.  With some feedback provided for the related Variable Views, I'd like to get the discussion going on this list.

To start, I'd like to collect feedback from any participants who have specific needs from the Registers view, and also from anyone who has interest in seeing certain features.

Items of interest specifically to registers may include (but are not limited to)
  • population of the Register View with registers of interest (SPIRIT access? etc.)
  • sets/subsets of Registers, hierarchical views, groupings, masking within sets
  • a "Details" view/subview, with bitwise descriptors, documentation, manipulation rules (see the bugzilla link provided by John Cortell of Freescale Semiconductor)
  • "virtual" registers (e.g. PC+4, BP-8) actings as _expression_ within the reg view

At our last meeting, the general agreement ran that Register Views would share much in common with the Variable View at the UI layer.  I'd like to identify the areas in which there is a consensus and areas which are some matter of debate in this regard.  And i'd like to collect opinions & feedback about those items that have already been the subject of initial discussion for
Expressions and Variables Views on the eclipse.org wiki-page set up by Ken Ryall of Nokia.

By all means, please respond either directly to me or to the the group with
ideas or references to bugzilla reports you are aware of similar to the one concerning register details above.

- Kirk Beitz - vox:(858)272-8858 - fax:(858)273-8858 - cell:(619)888-9408 -
- mailto:kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -   CodeWarrior  - http://www.codewarrior.com -

Back to the top