[data-dev] Build Automation (Jenkins)

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Wanted to send out a note that I took some time this week to set up our Jenkins builds for automation.
To view all of our jobs follow this link: https://ci.eclipse.org/data/

I created 3 tabs:
- CI Builds: Builds that are started from Pull Requests
- Eclipse Builds: These will build, stage, and promote the TCK Distribution to https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/data/jakartaee11/ (The Jakarta EE Platform requires this)
- Release Builds: These will build, stage, and release to staging and release repositories in sonatype

Here are the important workflows and an explanation of what they do:

1. jakarta-data-tck-build-and-stage: Builds the TCK Distribution .zip archive and stages (uploads) it to https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/data/jakartaee11/staged/eftl
2. jakarta-data-tck-staged-to-promoted: Downloads the latest staged TCK Distribution .zip archive and promotes (uploads) it to https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/data/jakartaee11/staged/eftl
3. jakarta-data-build-and-stage
  - Builds the entire Jakarta Data project from the main branch, and uploads it to the staging maven repository: https://jakarta.oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/staging/jakarta/data/
  - This will also create and push a new branch and tag in github from the main branch
4. jakarta-data-stage-to-release: This will take the branch created from the build-and-stage workflow, and use it to build and publish the project to the release repository: https://jakarta.oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/jakartadata-***/

Each of these workflows has a parameter called DRY_RUN which can be used to run the workflow without actually uploading any artifacts where they are externally available.

Otavio - It looks like the workflows jakarta-data-ci-17 and jakarta-data-ci-21 were created by you and run when PRs are opened/updated/merged.
They seem to do the same build steps as the Github Actions workflow here: https://github.com/jakartaee/data/blob/main/.github/workflows/java-CI.yml
However, the Jenkins workflow never reports back to the PR.
Can we remove these workflows from Jenkins and just have the Github Actions workflow?

Thank you,

Kyle Jon Aure

Back to the top