Specifically @Asynchronous would be good to move over, and to additionally enhance (be able to specify an optional thread pool which it uses).

Kind regards,
Arjan

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 3:34 PM Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Reza that is really useful. A number of those things are captured as additional issues already so I can take that input and add to those issues.

Steve

From: cu-dev <cu-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Reza Rahman
Sent: 11 March 2021 14:23
To: cu developer discussions <cu-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cu-dev] Jakarta EE 10

Steve,

There are a number of important ideas gathered for Concurrency Utilities in the Ambassadors Jakarta EE 10 contribution guide draft: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZFBoIujXCc-gQhCzh_ZdlKEsrsV0yVVIHzBTI3usF8/edit. I believe these ideas are already pretty well vetted. Here they are for reference:

·        Adding CDI friendly equivalents for @Asynchronous, @Schedule and @Lock.

·        Adding a @MaxConcurrency annotation.

·        Adding a @ManagedExecutorServiceDefinition annotation for more portably defining managed executors.

·        Adding support for Java SE completable futures in a managed fashion.

·        Properly propagating the CDI context across managed threads.

If you agree these are important issues, I am happy to help you reflect that in the GitHub issues properly. I do think GitHub issues are the way to move the features forward.

As another thought, Tanja and Ivar have been doing some very nice surveys on the Jakarta social media channels. What do you think of putting out some key questions via that channel? It could help prioritize, generate some excitement and gather contributors.

Lastly, I would love to work with you to figure out the best way to maximize community/end user contribution to help move this work forward. If you could help provide guidance on how to best do that, it would very much be appreciated.

Reza Rahman