From: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark D Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:47 PM
To: Cosmos Dev
Cc: N, Shivashankari; Hayes, Ian; cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx; cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cosmos-dev] RE: What would you like to see happen with build andrelease engineering?

i think we also need to consider the update manager site that we want to use to make the code available.  we'd start with the sml tooling and eventually make the eclipse integration with the cmdbf tooling there as well.
-mw

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

[cosmos-dev] RE: What would you like to see happen with build and        release engineering?

Mohsin, Jimmy

to:

Balan Subramanian

01/17/08 02:15 PM

Sent by:

cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

"N, Shivashankari", "Hayes,        Ian", cosmos-dev

Please respond to Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Balan,

Here is my wish list; some of this straddles QA; but here goes..
1.    Have a well-organized download page that is updated with a FUNCTIONAL build at least by the middle of each iteration (if not earlier)
2.    The download page must have a build that has ALL the components as soon as they become available.  Even though this seems obvious, I state this explicitly since in the past, some components did not make it into the build even though they were available.
3.    The “new” build process will enable non-development teams, e.g. QA to pick-up a build DURING and (obviously) till the end of an iteration.  This will enable the QA team NOT to have to wait till the end of an iteration for testing.  E.g. QA could initiate the unit level testing BEFORE iteration end.
4.    With a continuous build process, we would be better positioned to address the iteration close build fire drills…. We have been in this situation for the past several days.

Ian / Shivvy,
Would you like to add anything?

Thanks,
Jimmy Mohsin