Re: [cosmos-dev] MR2 10/24/2007 PPT

Very interesting presentation Jimmy; I feel bad I missed the demo, some of my questions would have been probably answered on that meeting

The comments/questions I have by just reading the attached presentation:
- I have a bit of hard time understanding the high level picture as COSMOS related data is mixed with CA information. So in many places it is not clear if that function is COSMOS or AC related ( I had to get back to the presentation to see if 'us' and 'ours' refers to COSMOS or CA )

- There are a few abbreviations I am not sure how to map to on what I know from open source or common standards; again I am not sure if I have to even pay attention to those as they are CA specific.
For example, I stumbled over the MR2 definition on slide 4. MR2 stands for Management Repository and it is an SOA-based data access service for CA. I have a few questions :
1. Is this indeed CA specific ? Then why we define it here ?
2. The CMDBf spec which COSMOS has decided to support and implement has a notion of MDR ( Management Data Repository ). What is the relationship between MR2 and MDR - if any ( having the almost identic name we should at least state if there is no direct relationship, I personally was tricked by that )
3. Slide 5 talks about federating CMDB as being MR2's stage 2 in COSMOS 2H2008. I should probably know the answer by now but trying to use this presentation only I couldn't figure it out how will this happen; what is the proposed relationship between a federated CMDB and MR2? Pointers to CA implementations doesn't help..:)

- The name of the presentation is MR2 / COSMOS DC
Looking at the presentation, this is not about Data Collection but about the COSMOS project ( taken literarily I would assume this only refers to the Data Collection project deliverables ). Some pieces are done under Resource Modeling as well as Visualization. The title should reflect this. There are a few places in the presentation where references to DC only is incorrect for the same reason

- There were a few things I was not able to understand, mainly because of the CA/COSMOS mixed information ( ex slide 9 )

- It is not clear to me if this is the COSMOS roadmap. At some point I assumed it's all about the Data Collection project; looking at slide 20 where SQA is mentioned ( I assume SQA stands for software quality assurance, or simpler, test team :) I realized it should cover the entire project. In this case, we should adjust the Next Steps slide to make sure it includes everything we plan to do within the project. Speaking of the Resource Modeling sub-project, we are contributing to the common effort which is the system management framework. But aside of this, we do some other things to help enable the framework, such as SML and SML exchange support.

Thank you,
Valentina Popescu
IBM Toronto Labs
Phone:  (905)413-2412         (tie-line  969)
Fax: (905) 413-4850

"Mohsin, Jimmy" <Jimmy.Mohsin@xxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/26/2007 12:32 PM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Cosmos Dev" <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"Craddock, Chris" <Chris.Craddock@xxxxxx>, "Devine,        John T" <John.Devine@xxxxxx>, "Marootian, Edward" <Edward.Marootian@xxxxxx>
Subject
[cosmos-dev] MR2 10/24/2007 PPT

All,

This is what y’all saw on 10/24/2007.  Your comments welcome.

For the record, I wanted to thank Jack Devine and his team for putting together the demo.

Jimmy Mohsin
VP, Principal Architect
Office of the CTO
Cell   +1-609-635-1703