[cosmos-dev] Re: Going ACROSS MDRs - is it part of COSMOS M2 (I said M2 and not MR2) ?

Jimmy,

You are correct:  As soon as you span MDRs, you encroach on the "federating" part of the CMDB.  This is where significant commercial value add is above and beyond the scope of COSMOS.

What we would like to do is enable the adaption of existing management product's data (big brown piles) with a standards based convenience API (CMBDf query).  We also want to be able to make it easy for the existing product to participate in federating scenarios--this is the CMDBf registration APIs.

Further, what we will do is create a client that can create CMDBf queries and understand the results.  It IS acceptable for us to create and execute graph queries, as long as they fall within a single MDR.

Finally, the user interface that we will put on top of the client will be able to navigate MDRs.  Since a federating CMDB has the same query interface, then our client should be able to work directly on top of either an MDR or a federating CMDB.

Hopefully, this is all spelled out in the deliverables doc that's in this zip: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/b/b3/Cmdbf-cosmos-deliverables-v0.07.zip
I'll try to update the CMDBf page later with a new picture that might show this better. http://wiki.eclipse.org/Leveraging_CMDBf

Does this answer your questions?

-mw

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

Going ACROSS MDRs - is it part of COSMOS M2 (I said M2 and not MR2) ?

Mohsin, Jimmy to: cosmos-dev
10/16/07 07:46 PM

Cc: "Devine, John T", "Craddock, Chris", Mark D Weitzel

All,

KEY question about the MDRs…  I know we are NOT in the business of building a federating CMDBf…. BUT

Let us refer to Mark’s picture on http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Leveraging_CMDBf.  For a minute, let us FORGET about the box titled “MDR1: Config Data”  Is it STLL a no-no to build ANY constructs as part of M2 (not MR2, I said M2) that enable us to execute a QUERY that goes ACROSS “MDR2: Asset Data” AND “Monitor Data” (or OTHER MDRs that have NOTHING to do with config data)?

We did a presentation internally, and this question came up in a BIG way… I would wager if you did a pitch at YOUR end, someone will ask this too J…  I know at one point we WERE going to do “cross-MDR” queries; but the fate of this (highly-valuable) artifact became a question mark recently.

If this is something that COSMOS DC as a no-go area, PLEASE advise and we will need to build it as part of our corporate implementation.

Jimmy Mohsin
VP, Principal Architect
Office of the CTO
Cell   +1-609-635-1703