From: cn4j-alliance <cn4j-alliance-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Emily Jiang via cn4j-alliance
Sent: 17 May 2021 22:49
To: Discussions on formation of a CN4J Alliance with the MicroProfile Working Group <cn4j-alliance@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Emily Jiang <emijiang6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cn4j-alliance] [External] : Fwd: Define the scope of Jakarta Config

Hi Dmitry,

My responses are inline.

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 5:59 PM Dmitry Kornilov <dmitry.kornilov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Emily,

We already had this discussion on Jakarta EE Platform meeting and tried to discuss it on one of CN4J meetings with the following conclusion:

1. CN4J meetings are not for technical discussions.

I think some fundamental goals/ non goals as laid out in the google doc should be agreed on at CN4J meetings. Once we have some guidance, it will be much easier to answer some questions or agree on some actions based on that. By the way, I have no intention to discuss the internal functionalities of MP Config here, as demonstrated in the google doc.

2. We will create Jakarta Config project and invite there all interested parties including MicroProfile Config committers. The first task for this group is to carefully analyse MP Config and decide which parts of it should be moved to Jakarta which are not. It may be agreed that the whole MP Config should be moved without any changes, it can be agreed that MP Config suits Jakarta EE only partially. I don’t know the answer yet and not making any assumptions. It’s what Jakarta Config project will decide the open way. Java package and Maven coordinates will also be part of this discussion. As you mentioned, Jakarta Config is in creation review now. I expect it to be created at the beginning of June. That time the project group will start working. We all will be happy to discuss your and Scott proposal there.

I think we need to agree on some basic principles first and then work on the technical aspects in Jakarta EE. For instance, Jakarta EE will not be able to ask MicroProfile Config to freeze. Therefore, I feel CN4J is the place to discuss the roadmap for the spec that affects both Jakarta EE and MicroProfile.

3. When the analysis and discussion is finished, Jakarta Config team will come out with the final plan.

Thanks,

Dmitry