[che-dev] Q4 Roadmap

Hi all,

We have updated the Roadmap [1] on the GitHub wiki.

Note that in the 2021 Q4 roadmap we have included a couple of epics that introduce some important changes to the Che workspaces model:
These are not breaking changes but a shift in the way to compose containers in our samples and for the upcoming VS Code editor. If the feedback is positive we may apply the changes introduced for VS Code to Che-Theia based workspaces.

In the meantime we are relentlessly working to complete the support for the DevWorkspace Operator as a Che workspace engine [4]. This change is coupled with the support of the v2 spec of the devfile [5] and the ETA is at the end of Q4 of this year.

Once that is done we will deprecate the che-server workspace engine and the v1 devfiles (although support will continue for a few releases after deprecation is announced). This week we released a first blog post [6] about the changes introduced with the DevWorkspace Operator.

Mario

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/che/wiki/Roadmap#our-plans-for-the-next-3-months
[2] https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/20435
[3] https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/20507