Re: [che-dev] Issue tracking, triage, and sprint planning: is there a better option?

Thanks for the context Brian, this should have been considered earlier in the process here.

A topic that was brought up during the call that I feel didn't get enough discussion is the distinction between "moving to Jira" and "moving to the Jira instance at issues.redhat.com".

It's one thing to move to some (currently non-existent) Jira managed by the Eclipse foundation, it's another to move to a Jira that is controlled by Red Hat. While GitHub is a Microsoft product, it's a platform, and the Eclipse foundation ultimately has control of the Eclipse organization on GitHub. Moving to a Red Hat-owned Jira blurs the lines of ownership in a way I'm not entirely comfortable with -- does Red Hat support a way for external contributors to manage Red Hat Jira issues, create sprints/manage priority/etc., or are the benefits of Jira we're discussing only available to those of us with @redhat.com emails? What admin-esque privileges would the Eclipse foundation have within the Jira system?

Put another way, is moving to Jira in the way we're discussing something that another project, e.g. Theia, could also benefit from? I suspect that most of the upsides we're discussing here apply mostly to us.

- Angel

On 2021-02-22 11:21 a.m., Brian King wrote:
Issue management/tracking/retention is considered a core aspect of an open source project, and as such, project teams are required to use resources provided by the Eclipse Foundation.

This is captured in the project handbook, in a couple of places:
https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#project-resources-and-services <https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#project-resources-and-services>
https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#resources-issues <https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#resources-issues>

We have no current plans to support JIRA. If you want to discuss this with us, the best place to start is to open an issue in Bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Community&component=Infrastructure <https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Community&component=Infrastructure>

Brian