Re: [che-dev] che-bot PR comments - annoying or useful?

On 11/27/19 8:04 AM, Sergii Kabashniuk wrote:

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 1:44 PM Thomas Mäder <tmader@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tmader@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 27/11/2019 12:58, Michal Vala wrote:
     > I'd like to propose to disable che-bot comments by default and
    make it
     > possible to enable it with a label. If disable by default is not
     > acceptable for whatever reason, at least make it possible to disable
     > che-bot comments with a label.
     >
     > What do you think?

    +1

+1

I'm also +1, but to add to the question: how useful are the comments left by che-bot in general?

The bot comment includes
- A link to the build
- A link to the test report (which can be retrieved from the build link)
- the built-and-tagged image, if applicable

I've found having easy access to e.g. the built image for testing very useful in the past, but I don't know if having that is worth the extreme amount of comment spam we can have.

In addition, the happy path and OCP e2e tests seem to output different images, e.g. maxura/che-server:14540 vs eclipseche/che-server:14540.

If we disable bot comments completely, the jobs should still be accessible via the details link in the checks section of the merge UI, so it would seem that having the comments at all is not incredibly useful.

Side nitpick: it's kind of strange that one of the CI jobs links to a CI that requires RH VPN.

    /Thomas

Sergii Kabashniuk

Principal Software Engineer, DevTools

Red Hat