Re: [che-dev] Add metadata.namespace to Devfile

Hi Lukas,

On 06/11/2019 15:16, Lukas Krejci wrote:
WDYT? Do you have some concerns about this idea?

Yes, I have some concerns: besides creating a "read-only" field in the devfile (which Mykola mentioned in his answer), I think it would violate containment: a devfile +/- creates a pod. A pod is container within a namespace. If we give the devfile control over things which live "up the hierarchy" from itself. What happens if the user does not have a namespace with the name the devfile requests?

A devfile should be reusable by multiple people across che installation. Since the namespaces depend on the configuration of the che instance, a devfile should not depend on a particular configuration. I think we should be wary of treating devfiles like stateful objects: devfiles are portable descriptions of workspaces, not the workspaces themselves. They are "constructors" if you will, not instances.

I am not familiar enough with our workspace engine to really pin this down, but I have a bad feeling about this. Maybe it helps if you explain the use cases we're trying to cover with this change.

/Thomas

Back to the top