[che-dev] Incompatible change in devfile format

Hi all,

This change affects ALL existing devfiles but we hope it is for the better.

In order to align the devfile format with Kubernetes conventions more (and to open the door for devfile possibly becoming a CRD in the future), we're making the following simple yet important changes:

* 'specVersion' attribute is being renamed to 'apiVersion'
* 'name' attribute is being moved under a new 'metadata' key

So the old devfile starting with the usual snippet:

specVersion: 0.0.1
name: acme-devfile

will have to change to:

apiVersion: 0.0.1
metadata:
  name: acme-devfile

This change is slated for the next milestone of Che 7 and you can track the progress in the PR https://github.com/eclipse/che/pull/13490.

Hope it doesn't cause too much trouble for you.

With regards,

Lukas Krejci

Back to the top