[che-dev] Custom builds and side cars

Hi folks,
to make Go projects work out of the box, Eugene recently proposed a PR (https://github.com/eclipse/che-theia/pull/122) that, among other things, installs gcc and g++, because "it is not uncommon for a go build to depend on gcc and g++". This got me thinking: depending on custom tools does not seem like such an outlandish thing to do. But if we think about this, it has quite heavy consequences for how we deliver tools, because:
* we cannot anticipate every needed tool and put it into the tooling sidecar
* the tool needs to be available from the main build (typically), so we can't put it into a separate Che 7 plugin

=> this leaves me with the option that the user needs to roll their own Che 7 plugin.

However, this is not a case we support well right now. What the user would have to do is to fork our plugin registry and add their plug-in to it, then replace the registry their instance of Che uses. This is not possible if the user is using a hosted offering. So to solve this, we would have to introduce a list of plug-in registries (instead of a single one) and the user would have to be able to add registries to his account (or the "organization", whatever that means).

What do you think?

/Thomas

Back to the top