Re: [che-dev] Discussion about the execution of commands inside Theia remote plugins

Here is a summary of what we have discussed during the call (unfortunately I have activated the recording during the last 15 minutes only but here is the link to the video https://bluejeans.com/s/XpfhI/):

- Theia plugin API that need localhost access should be modified: when the plugin runs in a sidecar all actions need to be executed in that sidecar.
- We are going to start with the plugin API needed by the k8s VS code extension. That won't fix all VS Code extensions but will help defining a pattern easy to apply to other APIs as well.
- The solution should consist in the the following 4 steps:
   1. Maintain a remote plugins metadata in Theia that contains the sidecar details for each remote plugin (this is tracked by this issue https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/12392)
   2. Modify the API calls that access localhost to access the remote sidecar container instead when executed called by a remote plugin (tracked by issue https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/12292)
   3. Support running multiple VS Code extensions in the same sidecar (that's mainly to support jdt.ls extensions and tracked here https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/12395)
   4. Don't share the plugins folder anymore amongst all sidecars (this is mainly a cleanup step)
- Florent will work on the first 2 steps during next sprint, step 3 deserves a dedicated discussion and work should start during first sprint of L Train

Mario