Re: [che-dev] Development quality and transparency

Sergii,

what about editor plug-ins ? should we avoid as well private repositories [1] ?

Florent

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 3:44 PM Sergii Kabashniuk <skabashn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi
I would like to discuss some practices and issues that I think reduce the overall quality and transparency of development.

1. The code in some repositories is suffering from a low number of tests that is not cover functionality.
   Example [1] or [2]
   What I can see it's mostly GO-based. But I think if we look closer we can find more.
2. We hiding issues(problem) with CQ process or undesired to keep code in branches in forked repositories [1] or [3]
3. Sometimes we ready to reduce our quality standards because we want to do something quick for some event [4]
4. We are developing code(major, core, not optional, not a plugin) outside of https://github.com/eclipse/che-* repositories
   and package it back as configuration [5] [6] [7] [8]
5. Issues related to upstream goes outside [9]. I may understand it if it's https://github.com/eclipse/che-* repositories.
   But this concrete case with [4] [9] make me fill that it's up to external company manager to decide should we have a priority to put the code back to upstream.
6. Usage of https://github.com/ws-skeleton/ repository. From [10]  "Build the docker image and push it on DockerHub using github.com/ws-skeleton"

My proposal
1. Repository with zero number of unit test is not an option. POC it's a good time to at least start write testing, later can be too late.
2. We must move all code to  https://github.com/eclipse/che-* repositories and abandon the practice to hide code development in nonEclipse repositories and referencing it as an image in master.
3. I know it's pain, but I see no other way. Keep the practice of features-branches for the code that is not ready to merge in master because of some other reason.
4. We should increase transparency of code development for the community with a clear process:
idea -> poc -> beta -> production-ready code in master of https://github.com/eclipse/che-* repositories
5. Keep single backlog. Disable all issues pages on all https://github.com/eclipse/che-* repositories except Che
 BTW with new Type A/Type B process it should no be SOOOO painful. If it's not the case then I think we should identify a concrete problem and fix it instead of running away from it.

Links
[9] Merge Theia plugin broker upstream https://github.com/redhat-developer/rh-che/issues/1003
[10] KubeCon Seattle and Paris JUG Workshop https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/11972
--