[che-dev] The future of Docker Infrastructure

Hello all,

## Focusing on Kubernetes

We currently support deploying Che on Docker, Kubernetes and OpenShift. Considered that Kubernetes and OpenShift are more suited to run Che in production, that kube popularity has skyrocketed in the last couple of years and that supporting both Kubernetes and Docker infrastructures is resource consuming, we (Red Hat) are considering progressively disengaging on maintaining Docker based Che. In particular we will stop maintaining it with the release of Che 7 that will happen in first half of 2019.

## What will happen to Docker infrastructure?

Our engineers have worked hard to build the current Che Docker infrastructure and Docker may still be an interesting platform for deploying Che. So, even if Red Hat will focus on Kubernetes/OpenShift, we are looking for some contributors or organizations that would be interested in taking over this responsibility. We would be more than happy to work with whoever want to maintain Docker infrastructure to make the transition possible.

## What does maintaining the Docker infrastructure mean?

Maintainers should consider at least the following tasks:

  • In the short term: implementing Che 7 newest abstractions (plugin, editor, broker, jwt proxy)

  • In the longer term: running the CI to test Docker infrastructure

  • Recurring: updating the Docker client to support newer versions of the Docker API

Mario

Back to the top