[che-dev] Stacks housekeeping

Hi Che developers!

It's been a while since what we have taken a look at https://github.com/eclipse/che/blob/master/ide/che-core-ide-stacks/src/main/resources/stacks.json. Those are Che stacks - smth that a user first sees when trying the product.

While some ready to go stacks and samples are tested every day, others seem to be abandoned. If you ask me why we have debiaa-lsp stack, I'd say - historical reasons. There are more examples. Stacks have been added but never maintained.

As a result, we have a dozen on unnecessary stacks, or those that simply do not run on any infra.

This email is to announce an upcoming PR that:

* removes debian, debian-lsp, ubuntu and openshift default stacks. All of them were added to the product because of business or tech requirements of that time.
* moves GAE SDK to default PHP and Python images, so there's no need in additional 3-4 images
* removes Python 2.7 and PHP 5.6 images from the list, but there will be instructions in docs on how to add those back
* clears components for all stacks. It does not look like we have come to understand what components are and why we need them. Neither of the clients (UD, IDE) use them.

I am currently working on updating images, testing samples and shrinking the two jsons (samples and stacks).

Further plans may involve some QA coverage for images and sample apps we provide. The goal is to make the a perfect first time UX in Che - starting a workspace and running a sample app is typically the first thing a user does.

Let me know if you have any objections/concerns with the above plans

--

EUGENE IVANTSOV

Red Hat

eivantsov@xxxxxxxxxx