[che-dev] Forwarding headers in Everret and HATEOAS

Hi,

We're trying to deploy Che-based servers on a landscape that dispatched requests through reverse proxies. The de-facto standard forwarding headers are used:

X-Forwarded-Host
X-Forwarded-Port
X-Forwarded-Proto

We noticed that the HATEAOS links that are returned by Che are incorrect and are narrowly based on the direct URLs of the requests that the server receives, which are the internal proxy-to-Che URLs in this case. Further inspection show that that root cause is that Everrest constructs request object objects (org.everrest.core.servlet.ServletContainerRequest) without taking the forwarding headers into account.

Our proposal is to contribute a code fix in everrest that takes the forwarding headers into account when construct the URLs. An alternative is make a higher-level change, e.g. at ServiceContextImpl (inside che-core-api).

Can you please provide insights? Is the current behavior intentional for some reason?

thank you

Tareq Sharafy

Cloud Development Experience | SAP Labs Israel | 15 Hatidhar st, Raanana 43665, Israel

T +972-(0)7-4732-1647 | F +972-(0)9-777-5618

Back to the top