Re: [cf-dev] Problem while using Netem for benchmarking large-large post in Californium

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your response. We are trying to bench-mark a typical large-large post scenario (the payload type does not matter much; simple ASCII texts will do) under different network bandwidth and loss situation. We are doing this as a background study which would help in choosing the right candidate to build some solutions in future which would require such large POSTs.
However, whenever we put the loss in the system using 'Netem' or 'iptables' we see the odd behaviour. At times the client code crashes as the POST handler, rather than going to the time-out-and-retransmit loop in case of an emulated loss, gets a NULL response.
Interestingly, since yesterday we started experimenting the same scenario using CoAPthon (the python implementation of CoAP). In this case the code does not crash, but occasionally stalls indefinitely if there is a loss of control traffic.
Really no idea what is going on. With emulated loss the system is becoming really unpredictable. At times the exchange (about 4 blocks with 1024 bytes each) successfully happens with several retransmits of the blocks. But at times it stalls after exchanging one or two blocks.

We have created an isolated network with two machines connected over a 3rd router (with 2 interfaces). The loss is incorporated in the 3rd one. We have also experimented with back to back connected client-server where the loss is applied at the server NIC.

Regards
Abhijan Bhattacharyya
Associate Consultant
Scientist, Innovation Lab, Kolkata, India
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: abhijan.bhattacharyya@xxxxxxx
Website:
http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.        IT Services
                       Business Solutions
                       Consulting