Re: [cf-dev] Even less strict request response matching

Le 22/08/2016 à 15:48, Maier Daniel (INST/ECS4) a écrit :

Hi all,

in Californium there exists the option "USE_STRICT_RESPONSE_MATCHING". Setting this to false, Californium does not consider the DTLS epoch to match responses/notifies to requests. This is not strictly conform to the specification. But I understand why this is useful. What do you think about to go even one step further: Some kind of “LAX_RESPONSE_MAPPING” that only checks that the DTLS identity is the same as the DTSL identity the request was sent to?

Does anyone know why these strict restrictions were made in the CoAP specification? In LWM2M for example it is allowed to receive registration updates and de-registrations after a new handshake, but because of this CoAP restriction it is not possible to receive notifications.

When we faced this problem on Leshan, we try to find an explanation but this is no so clear. Here [1], a discussion at IETF which show this is not clear at all. Maybe you can try again to get response on core mailing list.

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=core&q=CoAP+observe+notification+after+DTLS+session+resume

This “LAX_RESPONSE_MAPPING” would make it possible to receive notifies when there was a new DTLS handshake.

Thanks

Daniel