[cf-dev] Roadmap

Hi committers,

I don't know if you have noticed, but Joe Magerramov has created two
PRs [1][2] for adding CoAP-over-TCP support to Californium based on the
corresponding RFC [3] which from my point of view can soon be merged to
master and/or the 2.0.x branch.

Joe has rightfully brought up the question of when this contribution
might be reflected in an upcoming release. We haven't been very good
(read: have sucked terribly) in providing a roadmap for Californium in
the past so I would like to take this opportunity to improve in this
area :-)

We have just recently spawned the 2.0.x branch in order to work on long
needed support for clustering and horizontal scale out. However, this
is still work in progress AFAIK and I would not (yet) put it into a
release. Therefore I would rather propose to do a 1.1 release (from
master) any time soon including the TCP support (if we can do it in a
non-API-breaking way).

So, here's my proposal for a first roadmap:

1.1.x branch

Aug: 1.1.0-M1 (+ initial support for TCP, + all bugfixes from 1.0.x
branch)
Sep: 1.1.0

2.0.x branch

Aug: 2.0.0-M2 (+ improve support for failing over Notifications for
observed resources)
Sep: 2.0.0-M3 (+ support for TCP)
Oct: 2.0.0

WDYT?
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Schöneberger Ufer 89-91
10785 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered office: Berlin, Register court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 148411 B;
Executives: Dr.-Ing. Rainer Kallenbach, Michael Hahn

Back to the top