Re: [cdt-dev] (Dynamic) project references causing unnecessary rebuilds

On 3 February 2011 14:54, dmsubs <dmsubs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> James,
>
> It is not too much building that I am worried about. What I am worried about
> is that it is unnecessarily rebuilding all of the source files. I can live
> with an invocation of make that does nothing, but not one that decides it
> has to rebuild, when in fact it doesn't.

Ok.  The main reason it happens is because only one confiugration is
active at any one time.  So if your project references a non-active
configuration, CDT makes pretty pessimistic assumptions about which
files have changed since the configuration was last built (as it's not
built by default).  Hence when running the config build it rebuilds
all the source.  References between active configurations _shouldn't_
rebuild all the time.

All of this is in the process of being fixed.  The platform now knows
about build configurations, so we keep a delta per configuration.

Cheers,
James

Back to the top