RE: [cdt-dev] Managed Make Builder configurations

> Thinking more about it, isn't it what is already in the managed build?
> The toolchain is the target and configuration defined in the
plugin.xml
> while the build settings is the target and configuration defined in
the
> .cdtbuild. Could this understanding be correct or am I missing
anything?
> I guess we are missing the os and architecture. Maybe it could just be
> an attribute of a target (plugin.xml definition), couldn't it?

Maybe, but I think there are 2 things wrong with the current Target:

1.  The name - "target" is confusing as to what it represents
2.  It is a combination of too may concepts

I've been working on a proposal for Managed Build functionality for CDT
3.0.  I think the model needs some changes at the "top".  I'd like to
get rid of "target" and have the model look like:

<projectType>
    <toolChain>
        <tool>
            the elements under "tool" remains unchanged
        </tool>
        <targetPlatform>
            various target platform attributes...
        </targetPlatform>
    </toolChain>
    <configuration>
        <toolChainReference>
            <toolReference>
                the elements under "toolReference" remains unchanged
            </toolReference>
        </toolChainReference>
        <resourceConfiguration>
            <toolReference>
                the elements under "toolReference" remains unchanged
            </toolReference>
        </resourceConfiguration>
    </configuration>
</projectType>

The following target attributes would become projectType attributes:
- isAbstract
- parent
- isTest
The following target attributes would become configuration attributes:
- artifactName
- defaultExtension
- cleanCommand
The following target attributes would become toolChain attributes:
- binaryParser
- osList
- archList
- errorParsers
- makeCommand
- makeArguments
- scannerInfoCollector
- makefileGenerator

I hope to have the full proposal in a week or so...

Leo

> Likewise, here at TimeSys.  We currently support configurations
> as a combination of (build settings + toolchain).  Being able to
> continue to support this once we move to CDT 2.0 is important
> to us.

Thinking more about it, isn't it what is already in the managed build?
The toolchain is the target and configuration defined in the plugin.xml
while the build settings is the target and configuration defined in the
.cdtbuild. Could this understanding be correct or am I missing anything?
I guess we are missing the os and architecture. Maybe it could just be
an attribute of a target (plugin.xml definition), couldn't it?

Pierre-Alexandre