Re: [cdt-dev] Toolchains in CDT

At 03:49 PM 2/5/2004 -0500, Alain Magloire wrote:
A simple implementation of this editor can be just the dump output of
the objdump utility or something more complex.

I think that certain information specific to the object file format should be available through IBinaryObject / IBinaryParser. Translating address to line and file, dealing with mangled names, retrieving section names and section data. Maybe disassembly.

After all, if the Parser for the Binary is not reading the debug sections to figure out what address goes where, who is?

Allowing an editor plugin for binaries in is a super idea, but what if I want to make a view that shows disassembly for a selected binary function in the CView? What if I want an editor ruler that translates profile data per address into line information? Or, if having made such a ruler, I want it to work with someone else's binary format?

I also think that extending IBinaryParser to provide additional binary specific information alleviates the need for the toolchain because all those tool chain entries that people want to use are providing information about the binary. Addr2line, cppfilt, objdump, size -- there's a reason GNU calls them binutils.

Abstract that functionality behind IBinaryParser and now it's just a matter of writing your plugin to the existing IBinaryParser extension and invoking the new tools. It also better supports non-gnu based toolchains as well as implementation directly in java if that's the right route.

Thanks!
-Chris

Back to the top