Re: [cdt-dev] Natively Compiled Eclipse Snapshot Available

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 09:30, Douglas Schaefer wrote:
> I'm not an expert (although that is on my to do list :-), but I believe it
> does byte code insertion in a class loader, i.e. at run time.

Yes, this should still work because every gcj-compiled app still has an
integrated byte-code interpreter, so you can have a mix of native and
interpreted classes in your program.  The downside, of course, is that
it's just a simple threaded interpreter, so there's a performance
penalty.  One day gcj will also feature a JIT compiler for situations
like this - but until then...

I think it would be a real shame if running Eclipse depended on
ClassLoader.defineClass().  I don't know anything about AspectJ, but I'm
hoping this class tweaking behaviour is limited to development-time, and
that you can force the system to emit final classfiles for production
use.  That would be OK with today's gcj.

AG

--
Anthony Green <green@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat, Inc.