Re: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-patch] Scanner Interface for Managed and Standard Build Models

Alain,
I think you misinterpreted my post. It was not a critique of either the C
Descriptor mechanism or the way the information is stored. It was an
explanation of what I did and why.

> sigh ... it is not the "QNX Descriptor" it is a general purpose
persistent
> mechanism that Dave Inglis, provided for modules of the CDT, anybody can
> use it to save information.  The rationale here is that lots of info
> needs to be shared(via CVS or other mechanism) and persistency across
session.

This is true for the paths and symbols, which is why I used the
dot-cdtbuild file. There is a mechanism for persisting include paths in
the CDescriptor but not defined symbols, at least not specifically. Do we
need to submit requests to Dave for every type of thing we want to store?

> The "std make" builder decide not to save this, since it was consider a
> "personnal" setting i.e. a setting that does not need to be shared
between
> user.  So the metadata of the project is fine(not sharable) for this
> type of info.

Again, I don't really think that any of the decision made in the past are
wrong, I just want to store data in a logical place. If the project file
is going to be used to store project-related settings that need to be
persisted across team members, then the build file can be used to store
build information. Other IDEs use lots of different files (and storage
formats) to handle different requirements. That remains my opinion,
notwithstanding the fact that Dave's work is great for storing what it
stores.

> ... Please read the proposal.
> Although Dave is on vacation, I'm sure he's open to tweaks/twists
> and even rewrite
> so we can all reach a consensus.

I have read it. As I said, it does not meet all my requirements for the
standard build information, and not all for the managed build. I believe
that Doug has presented a proposal and code that uses the cdt project file
for the build information as a separate bit of data. I have not looked at
it yet, but I suspect that this will be sufficient for the time being.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to the top