Re: [cdt-dev] As promised, an FAQ start

Q: I just installed Eclipse and the CDT.  However, CDT does not recognize
the
existing toolchain [ie Visual Studio, Borland, Watcom, Cygwin, MinGW, GCC,
etc]. How do I make the CDT recognize these tools?

A: The current CDT doesn't integrate with a specific toolchain, but rather
integrates with a build command, such as make, nmake, jam ant etc and this
build command drives the toolchain.  The default build command is make, but
can be configured as part of the project properties.

As a new user to CDT. This problem has stopped me from going any further than installing it. I found the installation very easy, but after that it was like hitting a big wall of jelly. From then it seemed the only way forward was hunt information and play. Right now I haven't got much time for that.

I would suggest that the above question is probably the most important just after installation. The first thing people will want to do (well.. I did) is pick a currently worked on project and bring it into eclipse. A clear set of steps is required here, instead of "can be configured as part of the project properties" description. As I said.. I still haven't got passed this step, so am still interested in the answer. :)

After a project is compiling and running, anything else is extra and can be learnt over time. It was because of this that I was interested in creating a plug-in with compilers and various tools built into the plugin. It would allow people to 1. Install Eclipse 2. Install CDT 3. Install Toolchain 4. Drop in project 5. Run it..

Just my 2c worth. :)
David.

Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&referral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp

Back to the top