RE: [cdt-dev] New components proposal

> Sounds good to me.  Do we have a strategy/policy on what
> would be allowed to
> be written in C/C++ versus pure Java.  I don't mean to start
> a language war
> but given the complexity of C++ especially, it may be
> necessary to optimize
> the performance of certain components to deal with that complexity.

Hi Doug,

up to now, we've only coded things in C/C++ when we needed some OS-specific
functionality that was not available directly through Java. We also
spawn off external utilities when it makes sense for speed or functionality
(e.g. ctags). There's been no set policy, but your point about potentially
being able to use C code to speed up some of the operations is a really
good one, one that we should keep in mind. I agree that things like
parsing/analysis are particularly good candidates.

Sebastien