Re: [cdi-dev] tomorrow's cdi call

Hi,

I'd like to suggest that someone should come up with a concrete proposal, otherwise we'll have a vague discussion that leads nowhere.

There's a considerable amount of experience with MicroProfile Context Propagation and based on that experience, I'm pretty confident in saying that context propagation makes it very easy to shoot oneself in the foot [with a decently sized bazooka]. To the best of my knowledge, MicroProfile Context Propagation was designed with an assumption that there's still a single logical thread of execution, even if that execution sometimes switches physical threads, and that the context lifecycle doesn't change. Alas, that is impossible to enforce, so many people end up in a situation when they share contexts between multiple concurrently executing threads. Which is fine for the application context, obviously, but it's almost always a bad idea for the request context, because request scoped beans are almost never thread safe. (Ignoring session and conversation context here, but I think they are close to the request context in this particular case.)

So, yea, this is an important problem. Does anyone have a concrete proposal to discuss? 'Without that, I fear it's a waste of time. (I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm a simple man. I prefer concrete proposals over abstract discussions.)

LT