Re: [cdi-dev] About parsing beans.xml files in Lite

> As a matter of fact, we currently pour everything into a singular bean archive (which I have to say I came to like as it makes understanding the meaning of bean archive much simpler for users).

Ah that is a great point, totally forgot about that! I think we should
do this in Lite. Multiple bean archives made everything really confusing
for me when I started learning CDI.

This approach leads to the complication of merging beans.xml. What if the beans.xml has conflicts, which one takes precedence.

> Tomas Langer also correctly mentioned that today you can have beans.xml with discovery mode "none" and therefore the presence of beans.xml can mean you don't want to process that archive.
> This is true, although I have to point out that I haven't really seen this used much. It is probably a remnant of CDI 1.0 where default discovery mode was explicit (instead of annotated) and where you needed to always have beans.xml present.

The only reason why I think we might want to detect beans.xml
configuring discovery mode to "none" is legacy JARs. Not sure how big of
a use case that is.

Open Liberty uses this for improving performance for migrated applications. The applications used CDI 1.0 and then migrated to CDI 1.2/2.0. Setting bean-discovery-mode="none" will disable the scanning, which improves the performance.

Thanks
Emily

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 4:37 PM Ladislav Thon <lthon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12. 01. 21 17:26, Matej Novotny wrote:
> As a matter of fact, we currently pour everything into a singular bean archive (which I have to say I came to like as it makes understanding the meaning of bean archive much simpler for users).

Ah that is a great point, totally forgot about that! I think we should
do this in Lite. Multiple bean archives made everything really confusing
for me when I started learning CDI.

> Tomas Langer also correctly mentioned that today you can have beans.xml with discovery mode "none" and therefore the presence of beans.xml can mean you don't want to process that archive.
> This is true, although I have to point out that I haven't really seen this used much. It is probably a remnant of CDI 1.0 where default discovery mode was explicit (instead of annotated) and where you needed to always have beans.xml present.

The only reason why I think we might want to detect beans.xml
configuring discovery mode to "none" is legacy JARs. Not sure how big of
a use case that is.

LT