[cdi-dev] do runtime CDI implementations have to support build-time extensions?

Hi,

I feel like we spent almost the entire hour on the call yesterday running in circles around the question in subject. IMHO, this is a waste of precious meeting time that we need to use to cover other important topics. This topic should move here, to the list.

I'll try to summarize. I think we agreed that we want CDI Lite to be part of the CDI spec, and that we want CDI Lite to be a subset of CDI. That's all rather nice and easy, until it comes to extensions.

For CDI Lite, we're trying to build a new extension API, because Portable Extensions are inherently runtime constructs, while we want to allow build-time implementations of CDI. This leads to the following little matrix:

             runtime impl     build-time impl
Portable         yes            impossible
Extensions

build-time       ???               yes
extensions

Some people argue that what I marked "???" should also be "yes". That should in theory be possible, but I'd argue that in practice, this will lead to issues that we currently can't predict.

I suggested yesterday on the call that we should specify something like "runtime implementations are free to support build-time extensions at their own will", and let's see what happens in a year.

That obviously isn't the only possible solution. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion, and let's keep in mind that we eventually need to agree on something :-)

Thanks,

LT

Back to the top