RE: [bpel-dev] BPEL invocation

Hi,

The idea behind Web services is interoperability through standardization. Therefore, heterogeneity of backend implementations (Fortran, C#, C++, Java, it’s all fine) doesn’t matter as long as you can wrap them in a nice WSDL interface.

There are also certain rules that you can follow to ensure interoperability of your services. For example, document interaction style with literal encoding *can* make for easier integration than RPC interaction style. The relevant WS-* spec for this is WS-Interoperability.

I don’t know whether any BPEL process is interoperable with every possible WS, but the idea is that all the heterogeneity of programming languages and different middleware solutions in your n-tier systems (used in your backend implementations) is overcome by the fact that all components, to BPEL, are Web services expressed in WSDL, messaging is standardized via SOAP, the data type system is defined in XML Schema defs, middleware services are standardized by the various WS-* specs, etc. …

HTH,

-- Bruno

P.S.: This question is probably better suited for the newsgroup…