[birt-dev] FW: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Reminder:Callistocoordination/planning call tomorrow

Team,

I attended  release planning conf call for the Callisto release.  There are a couple of discussions that require us to act on…

1)       Use 4 digit build number so that Eclipse Update Manager can pickup the integration and milestone builds from each project.  In previous releases, we ONLY upload release builds to the update manager site in Eclipse.  But for Callisto release update site, since we want to allow the community to download updates of the latest I and M builds from each project, we need to use the 4th digit to let Eclipse update manager know that there is a new build to download.

      Version number interpretation:

  • 1st digit: breaking API changes.
  • 2nd digit: Major functionality change; usually a major (non-service pack) release.
  • 3rd digit: Maintenance or service pack release.
  • 4th digit: Build # or timestamp

See http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-core/documents/plugin-versioning.html for information about versioning and http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Update/keeping-up-to-date.html on feature/plugin versioning policies. Other information is available from the links at the bottom of the Callisto Update Site Wiki page: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Callisto_Coordinated_Update_Sites.

     BIRT project will be using “2.1.0” with the 4th digit advanced for each build.

     Action items:

a.       All features/plugins in BIRT need to be changed to have _2.1.0 as suffix.   (Is ODA 3.1.0?)

b.       Model team needs to increase the version number for report XML design file to 2.1.0

c.       Build team needs to add a 4th digit to the build number, and increase it for each daily build.

2)       We need to prepare to move to Eclipse 3.2 M5 once it is available around 2/17.

3)       Build team need to upload the integration builds and milestone builds to the update manager site.

Thanks

Wenfeng