[aspectj-users] Faster incremental weaving

Hi,
I am evaluating the use of AspectJ in project that contains more than 2500 java source files. The project uses a complex ant build file that does a lot of different stuff (like creating and signing applet jars, pre-compiling jsps, jarjar some external libs etc). The same build process is used by around 20 developers, QA and release staff. As a lot of people run the build process several times a day, any change in build process that introduces large delays will not be acceptable.

I have tried iajc ant task with "incremental" option. But the interactive nature of this process doesn't appear to be what I need. For example, when QA person receives a couple of java source files and a jsp, s/he needs to run the complete build process so classes are compiled and jsp gets copied to correct location. So waiting with an interactive prompt for incremental compilation won't work unless we run build process from two console windows simultaneously.

Our current intended use of AspectJ is simple. Something along the line of advising methods marked with a custom annotation. I was wondering whether it makes sense to write a custom APT processor to weave only the classes that get recompiled by javac ant task? I understand that this setup will work correctly in very limited scenarios but still would like to explore this option.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Tahir Akhtar

Back to the top