Re: [aspectj-users] Progress on privileged support for annotation style aspects...

One of the benefits of using annotation style aspects is that the
aspect classes can all be compiled with a standard Java compiler
before being passed to an aspect weaver.  This is extremely useful in
some situations.  But the downside is that Java compilation rules
cannot be subverted in the same way that we can do it in ajc.

So, the only way we can add this kind of privileged access to the
compiler would be through the JCP.  However, I believe it would be
difficult to convince many people to go along with it because it
violates accessibility rules, one of the fundamental precepts of Java.

In AspectJ, this violation is considered OK, but only if used with
care under the privileged keyword.  I don't want to dismiss your idea,
but I think it would be hard to move this philosophy to another
language.

--a