[aspectj-users] handler designator

Title: handler designator

I'm just starting to work with AspectJ.  Most things I have tried have been easy to get working, but I can't get the handler designator to work.  Here's what I'm attempting.  IllegalTransactionException is my own custom exception.

pointcut handle(IllegalTransactionException e):
    handler(IllegalTransactionException) && args(e);

before(IllegalTransactionException e): handle(e) {
    System.out.println("*** EXCEPTION *** " + e.getMessage());

When I run my application, the exception is thrown, but the code in my before advice never runs.
Can someone offer some quesses as to what I might be doing wrong?

WARNING: All e-mail sent to and from this address will be received or
someone other than the recipient.