RE: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ 1.5.2 rc1 available

Hi Andy,

It's exciting to see the 1.5.2 release close to completion. There are three
bug fixes and one big enhancement that I would really like to see included
in 1.5.2 final:

Bug fixes:
148727 - the change to marking aspect API methods aspectOf and has Aspect
with synthetic breaks any application which calls these methods on library
aspects (like ours).

126118/145689 - with AJDT 20060616121018 / AspectJ 1.5.2.20060530125805, I
still see cases where e.g., missing types cause build failures with no
problems reported. I think it's vital that AspectJ 1.5.2 and AJDT 1.4.0 ship
with reliable problem reporting in Eclipse. I just switched to the latest
dev build on Eclipse 3.2 RC7 so hopefully this one is fixed? But if not, I
really think it's worth holding the release to get this right... It creates
a lot of problems for experienced developers and great concern/adoption
issues among newer developers/projects: if you can't rely on finding
problems in your Java code when you switch to AJDT, it makes it hard to make
the switch...

145693 - after initial submission, I added a test to this case that shows a
problem with the weaver resolving types that are on the inpath so they need
to be added to the classpath too, which is something I don't think one
should ever do.

Enhancements:
148773 - this is a small change to the load-time weaving world that allows
evicting non-aspect types (i.e., makes them expendable). This significantly
reduces overhead if you weave into a lot of types (e.g., it cuts total
AspectJ memory overhead on startup in a test configuration from 160 to 90%).
This patch couldn't be submitted until recently, when LTWWorld was finally
integrated into the codebase...