Re: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ Custom Attributes

> I am afraid that none of them would allow to use code weaved by
> AspectJ.

As I understand it, this issue only affects people doing load-time
weaving where the AspectJ weaver is in a chain with ASM, because ASM
is stripping the crosscutting information from the .class file so the
weaver can't use it (the weaver doesn't make a copy).  I take it
Hibernate is one of them.  That's confirmed, right?  Hibernate's
popularity does drive this, but build-time weaving could be an
ok workaround for 1.5.0.  People can upgrade to 1.5.1 when
working with older ASM versions.

Perhaps the first step is some design specifying issues/
requirements and propose implementations.  e.g.,

- run under java 1.1 and do LTW under 1.3-1.5 [CLASS]
- mechanism for reading binary aspects built since 1.2.1
  - version prefix - local, runtime, or compiler?
- reduce class sizes
- ...

A motivation section would help:
- collision with ASM
  - collision with hibernate
    - build-time weaving insufficient b/c ...
  - WebLogic 9 diagnostic layer
    - build-time weaving insufficient b/c ...

(Andy's not signed up for that, Adrian's unavailable,
and Alex is the main expert on point...)

wrt implementation, a big/forgotten work item might
be to write some tests.

Wes