Re: [aspectj-dev] DocBook pdf gen ant task for devguide, adk15guide

Wes Isberg wrote:
Hi -

Adrian, I will integrate (I wrote the bug to capture this).

Kev, this is great, thank you very much.  This stuff is very pertinant
now because we have a lot of doc revisions to do for the AspectJ 5 release,
and I appreciate your following my off-list suggestion.  But I can't tell
if you got further than I did when I mentioned that after updating the
XSL per http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#no-page-master, I was getting
the error "'master-name' () must be unique..."  I'd like to leave the
XSL as per the docbook release until everything is working.

Yeah I came across that 'master-name' problem, and the bug is resident in the docbook xsl code.  The docbook code uses master-name in some places where it should (according to the updated XSL spec) use master-reference, but the 'master-name' () must be unique is caused by the page-sequence-masters not having a masetr-name attribute eg

original pagesetup.xsl
-------
<page-sequence-master master-name="oneside1">
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-name="simple1"/> <-- incorrect according to new spec
</page-sequence-master>

after my first changes (reading FOP FAQ) - still incorrect
--------
<page-sequence-master master-reference="oneside1"> <-- should be master-name
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="simple1"/>
</page-sequence-master>

after reading the XSL spec - correct
-------
<page-sequence-master master-name="oneside1">
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="simple1"/>
</page-sequence-master>

the advice in the FOP faq is slightly misleading and of course I followed it to the letter and replaced master-name with master-reference.  But looking at the XSL spec made it much, much clearer.  The error message is also incredibly bad, it should be changed to something like:

"master-name attribute of simple-page-master or page-sequence-master in master-layout-set, is not unique. First occurence line:X, second occurence line:Y"

Basically without the master-name attribute the page-sequence-master tag will take the master-name () (null), then the next one without the atribute will take the same master-name () and there's your non-unique rule broken.
Also, does anyone know of free XSL/FOP transform plugins that would work
here, so a writer wouldn't have to drop down into Ant to check things?
I've tried XMLBuddy and FOP Bridge...

It's a hack, but I simply set the file association of .xml to be opened with the ant editor.  Ok it doesn't validate and the plugin complains about the structure, but it allows you to format the xml and does the raw syntax highlighting taht I needed to be able to tell what was going on with the files.  As for checking things without writing out a file:

<path-to-fop>fop-20.0.5/fop <path-to-.fo> -awt will render using AWT for a quick check without cluttering file-system

Here's my setup - it will break if there's a problem, you still have to have the generated .fo file with I suppose means that you need to run ant each time to generate that file :(

Back to the top