Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Whitespace handling

On Fri, Mar  5 21  3:04, Dan Allen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 4:05 AM Dan Allen <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> p.s. I ask that you use the term "spaces" rather than "whitespace". The
>> color specifier serves no purpose and isn't relevant anyway for people who
>> use a dark theme.
>>

> I'd like to point out that some observers of this list have both ridiculed
> and harassed me (outside of this list) for raising this concern. I was
> making a sincere attempt to be inclusive and to make an effort to choose
> our language thoughtfully and carefully. Just because I bring a request to
> the floor doesn't mean I'm right, nor does it imply I think I know better
> than someone else. If my objection is misguided or ineffective, I'm
> perfectly willing to reevaluate it (hopefully having learned something).
> That's why we discuss things. We're here to think critically and to learn
> from each other in the open. Mistakes will be made.

I'm sorry to hear that, Dan. I'm glad you raised the concern. The way a language is used has a direct impact on the way we view and interact with the world around.

Therefore, it's perfectly possible that an otherwise benign word with a seemingly innocuous etymology may acquire a negative or harmful connotation. Being mindful of that is a small price to pay for striving to establish an inclusive and welcoming environment.

Robert

> You can point out holes in my (or anyone else's) logic by presenting a
> well-reasoned argument. And you may turn out to be right. But there's
> absolutely no excuse to act unprofessionally. Doing that is grounds for
> being dismissed from this project. It simply won't be tolerated.
> Appropriate conduct is defined by the Eclipse Code of Conduct (
> https://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Community_Code_of_Conduct.php), to
> which this project adheres.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> -Dan