Re: [andmore-dev] Eclipse Gerrit/Git

So is it that you just don't have the GitHub Connector for Eclipse installed that is preventing you?  With that connector installed it should be pretty much the same work flow as if you were submitting a Gerrit request instead of going to Gerrit is creates a Github Pull request.

Let me spend some time documenting it before we just make a switch.   Let see if I can make it simpilier based on your current work flow.

Dave

On 10/14/15 3:10 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
I never use command line for git. Maybe that’s why pull requests for me are so painful. Egit has awesome support for pushing changes to Gerrit. And judging by the number of change request that fly into the various project I’m working on, we’ve been pretty success full with it. And as you mention we get Hudson verify jobs for pretty much free.

I’d prefer we move. It is preventing me from doing any quick fixes and right now I don’t have time to really figure out github pull requests. You can decide if that’s concrete or not :).

Doug.

From: <andmore-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of David Carver <d_a_carver@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 2:17 PM
To: andmore developer discussions <andmore-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [andmore-dev] Eclipse Gerrit/Git

I'm not sure changing it will solve the underlying issue with contributions.   The problem hasn't been where the source is stored or where it isn't stored, it has been the almost complete migration away from Eclipse/ADT by most Android developers over to Android Studio and the utter lack of Tooling vendors working on enhancements to the base Tooling for Android.

Commercial adopters would help, but right now there is myself and Thrys working on code contributions.

There are tools for Eclipse and Mylyn in particular that have good GitHub integration.   I personally have never used Gerrit for anything.

I'd rather not move away from Github unless we have a good concrete reason to do so.

Mylyn Github Connector:
https://github.com/eclipse/egit-github

The only thing we are missing that Gerritt would provide is automatic builds of the commits with Hudson.  We have code review and eclipse bugzilla integration already.

Maybe we can document how to use the Mylyn Connector and Github for contributors that want that type of integration.  I personally still use command line for everything when it comes to git.

Dave