Re: [ajdt-dev] Workaround for bug: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: makeAdviceSig & new bug

We made a change to the runtime library in the last two weeks to use a more efficient form of creation for thisJoinPointStaticPart objects (can result in a significant footprint saving in large systems). makeAdviceSig is a new method added into the runtime library as part of that work. So it's not a bug... it's just a case of "always use the aspectjrt.jar that was distributed with the compiler you used to build the code". The change is backwards compatible with code generated in older versions of the compiler - so any aspects compiled with prior versions can be used as is, but aspects compiled with the current version are not backwards compatible with older runtime libraries.

11 September 2005 08:48
To: "'AspectJ Development Tools developer discussions'" <ajdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc:
From: "Ron Bodkin" <rbodkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ajdt-dev] Workaround for bug: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:   makeAdviceSig & new bug

Hi All,

I have two questions about recent AspectJ 5 development builds.

I have a program that runs with the latest good developer build, but using M3a gives this stack trace:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: makeAdviceSig
        glassbox.inspector.monitor.AbstractRequestMonitor.<clinit>(AbstractRequestMonitor.aj:1)

Any idea what bug was causing this (hopefully it’s easy to know from the recent fixes?!) I’d like to explain why an alpha release of the code in my AOP@Work article doesn’t work with AspectJ 1.5.0 M3a…

Ron Bodkin

Chief Technology Officer

New Aspects of Software

w: (415) 824-4690